Safety: Our Business Deliverable - Safe, Productive Work
Safety comes first. For UBC Millwright Local 2309 and our industry partners, owners and contractors, safety is the overriding principle for accomplishing our work.
Safety Is Our Highest Priority on Every Project
We develop safety partnerships with contractors and owners to protect the health and safety of our millwrights — and to safeguard owners’ investments. UBC millwrights and our partners approach their work with unmatched safety, reliability, respect, craftsmanship, professionalism and leadership. Our goal is to maintain safety as the highest priority while keeping productivity moving.
UBC Jobsite Safety Standards
Adherence to safe work does not change because of accelerated schedules, change orders or difficult working conditions. Instead, it becomes even more important. We strive to remove the potential for unsafe practices and conditions at all times.
- Teaming up with general contractors, subcontractors, project managers and owners to identify, assess, monitor, manage and eliminate risks on every jobsite.
- Best-practice sharing and collaboration among owners, contractors, Local 2309, MRCO and the UBC.
- Consistent safety-related communications among all stakeholders prior to and throughout every project’s life cycle.
- Meeting and exceeding the highest level of compliance with federal and Provincial requirements, including OSHA and other safety standards.
- Reinforcing zero-tolerance for safety infractions among our millwright members.
- Ensuring that the level of our safety training meets and exceeds the level of inherent risk factors.
THE UBC MILLWRIGHTS’ SAFETY GUIDE
UBC millwrights are held to the highest standards. Learn more about our training and the dedication to safety that we bring to every jobsite.
UBC Certified Rigger and Signaler Program Accredited
Our Certified Rigger and Signaler Program is now accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agency. The certification exceeds all requirements for riggers and signalers in Canada and USA.
Through continuous training, the UBC Millwright Local 2309 instills a core value of safe work within everyone, from apprentices to superintendents. We live up to our standards through a commitment to proactive leadership, dedication to creating a safety-conscious environment and the determination to achieve zero-accident jobsites.
Dedication to Safety by UBC Contractors
Our employers’ primary goal is to complete a project with no incidents or injuries. A UBC contractor delivers safe jobsite practices by:
- Including a health-and-safety management system and safety performance history in bid documents.
- Providing a crew of millwrights with proven track records in safe work.
- Verifying safety qualifications and training of employees.
- Conducting a safety-orientation meeting with all employees prior to the job’s launch.
- Communicating with project managers and owners regarding hazards and safety risks.
- Implementing a safety risk-assessment and mitigation programs.
- Completing safety audits with truthful and comprehensive information.
- Eradicating hazardous or unsafe conditions or practices quickly and efficiently.
Our Difference Is Our Training
UBC millwrights are trained to work and support an injury- and accident-free jobsite through attentiveness and continuous improvement in safety measures. Safety training starts on the first day of apprenticeship – and we reinforce safety throughout the Millwright’s career.
UBC millwrights acquire the skills, knowledge and preparation to work safe by focusing on:
- Responsibility to others.
- Understanding the contractor’s and owner’s safety expectations and potential unsafe factors on each job.
- Safe performance and task completion, as well as safe behavior in and around active work areas.
- Maintaining up-to-date safety, human performance, first-aid and OSHA qualifications.
- Effective communication with co-workers and supervisors during all tasks.
The Bottom Line
Safety and productivity is not an “either or” proposition. Performing work safely is in the DNA of UBC millwrights. Safety-conscious contractors know that safety issues are minimized, without hindering productivity, when UBC millwrights are on the job. The stakes reach far beyond the fiscal benefits for both labour and management.
Get in Touch Before Your Next Project Starts
Contact the UBC Millwright Local 2309 now to get more details on hiring the most dedicated and highly trained skilled labour. A representative will respond to your inquiry directly.